This is a big category. Would splitting it up be beneficial, or just a lot of work for not a lot of good?
It could be split geographically, like the maps and flags - which would be extremely useful. Or, there could be separate categories for personal, national, civic, and institutional arms. Or both. Or neither. Benkarnell 16:23, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
A lot of these seem to be listed under the COA category and a sub category. My vote is strip the COA category from the sub-categoried items and see what remains. If that's still substantial, I think a rough geographic sort would be in order. BoArthur 17:52, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- We could possibly also add a Snorist emblems subcategory either directly to the COAs category or as a subcategory of Category:National arms. Or just delete these from this category altogether; I'm not sure they fit all that well with the more conventional armorial bearings. - Geoff 21:56, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- I don't think there are any subcategories right now. Some of these are in other categories, like Category:Xliponia and so forth, but I think they should still be in COAs or a category under it. And the Snor emblems may as well be here, maybe in a subcategory if it's useful. Benkarnell 22:18, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- I'm all for subcategories, based on Nationality -- Holy Roman Empire, Romania, Greek, NAL, Federated Kingdoms, etc. Zahir 04:01, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
- Well, there's one subcategory, my Category:Seals and Tamgas of Turkestan which contains the Turkestani city seals and institutional and clan tamgas, which are a functional equivalent but which are really so separate from "usual" heraldic insignia that I decided to create a subcategory for them. Also, it allowed me to put them all into Category:Turkestan in a single block rather than piecemeal.
- FWIW, I can see the usefulness of dividing along geographical lines. Certainly, some nations like the NAL, HRE, FK, Nouvelle Francy etc seem to have enough to warrant their own "COAs of XY"-type subcategories. That might be the way to go. - Geoff 04:10, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
- Agreed. Well. Better get busy. Shall I keep the "COAs" abbreviation, for consistency's sake? Or a more general "Heraldry of" pattern? Benkarnell 05:01, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
I would like to see the Xliponian provincial coats of arms under this category, only I do not know how to go about it. They do not have separate articles per se, but are shown on the pages of the provinces: Ançec, Atmar, Bovlai, Hastr, Hostreht, Lim, Meirç, Monnalp, Orflain and Vont. The arms of the realm itself are shown at Xliponia, under Xliponian National Symbols. All these arms are blazoned, i. e., described according to the peculiar heraldic terminology. Thanks to any who can help! :-) Kyrmse 13:52, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
- I could do it for you, but as someone once told me, "If I just tell you and you do it yourself, you'll be able to do it from then on". Just go onto the image file (double-click the image on the page concerned), edit the file and add the text [[Category:COAs]]. Or if you want a subcategory, [[Category:whatever]], then edit that category and add the text [[Category:COAs]]. - Geoff 22:05, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
Just wanted to offer my kudos to all the work that has gone into re-organizing this category. Kudos, and still more kudos! Zahir 19:03, 8 August 2009 (UTC)