|Important Cities||Les Alliés, Arçon, Bugny, La Chaux-de-Gilley, Gilley, Hauterive-la-Fresne, La Longeville, Montflovin, Maisons-du-Bois-Lièvremont, Ville-du-Pont.|
|Currency||1 Livre = 20 sous = 240 deniers|
|Commission on Very Small States|
In the 18th century the Landry, Lord of Joux, gave a gift of territory to the Archbishop of Besançon, which came to be known as "Le Saugeais." The Archbishop appealed to the monks of Saint-Maurice in Wal Pfenein, Helvetia, to clear some land and construct the Abbey of Montbenoît.
In the chaos following the Second Great War, the Free Republic of the Saugeais was born. In 1910, a song was written, which later became the National Hymn, by now canonized Joseph Bobillier called Dé san qu’y a dèz hounnous â mondou ("Since men were in the world"). This patriotic hymn is filled with humor and irony. In 1972, a most strange election was held in which Madame Gabrielle Pourchet, born in 1906, was elected President-for-Life of the republic by Clap-o-Meter. As part of her office, Mme. Pourchet was to watch over the Saugets and maintain a good respect among the people for their traditions.
In 1973, the official coat-of-arms was created by Colonel Henri de St. Ferjeux (the commander-in-chief as well as the only member of Saugeais' army). Upon it rest the Abbey's Crook, the Helm of the Lords of Joux, the evergreen upon the mountain and the river. A major act by Mme. Pourchet was the grant of free passage to all citizens of Saugeais across all the territories of the country. Aging vehicles are often stopped at the toll zones and held for hours, so travelers, beware.
The current president is Georgette Bertin-Pourchet, daughter of the late Gabrielle Pourchet.
Saugeais is completely surrounded by France.