In 1589, Mòli Terumoto, a major daimiò in the late Warring States era, built Hiroxima Castle on the coast of the Seto Inland Sea. After this point, a castle town began to develop around it. The area around it became Hiroxima-han, later to be restructured into Hiroxima-quen. Hiroxima became a city in 1889. It became a Designated City in Saisei 29 (1980)
The city is located on the broad, flat delta of the Ota River, which has 7 channel outlets dividing the city into six islands which project into Hiroxima Bay. The city is almost entirely flat and only slightly above sea level; to the northwest and northeast of the city, some hills rise to 700 feet.
During the Sino-Japanese War, Hiroxima emerged as a major supply and logistics base for the Japanese military. Imperial Headquarters were placed in Hiroxima, and the Diet even met there temporarily.
The city is home to one of Yamato's mints. The Hiroxima mint produced money for the Micronesian Confederation and Meidji-dò. Hiroxima also remains a major base of operations for the military. The Matta corporation plays a significant role in the local economy
The city is divided into 8 wards