From IBWikiJump to navigationJump to search
Following the NALien incursion in 1828, the capitol was moved from Nouvelle Orleans to more central Baton Rouge, in an effort to protect the legislative center of the prefecture. Baton Rouge donated the lands for the capital on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. Since that time, other Prefectoral buildings have been built in the neighborhood.
Baton Rouge was the neutral location chosen for the deliberation and signing of the treaty ending the War of 1898.