Talk:NAL Provincial Flags
Thanks so much for organizing that and adding New Iceland's (many) flags. Zahir 08:18, 2 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- You're welcome. I don't know if you are aware of this, but there is a website dedicated to IB's flags here. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated ever since Ferenc (who created the site) moved to China. Apparently, the Chinese authorities forbids anyone to access Geocities.
- By the way, New Sweden would also have the same kinds of flags as New Iceland: a provincial ensign, a civil ensign, a state ensign, and a banner of arms; but we have yet to discover what the New Swedish coat of arms looks like. If you ask me, it must have the Swedish colours of blue and gold, and it must not be as complicated as the one used for Delaware *here* since Scandinavian heraldry is quite simple. I suggest the following blazoning: azure a crowned horseshoe crab or. Delaware Bay is the home to more horseshoe crabs than any other place in the world.
- Boreanesia 09:09, 2 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Actually, that is where I got most of the flags I put up (save for the ones I designed, natch). I like your idea for New Sweden's arms and will have a go at creating it if I may? Zahir 09:18, 2 Oct 2005 (PDT)
Good job! Some comments: I made a few sketches of suggestions for NAL provincial flags a while ago. For Cherokee Nation Province, i took the same flag as you have and erased the black star, which is supposed to represent those Cherokee who were killed on the Trail of Tears. No Trail of Tears, no black star. For Aquanishuonigy i suggested the Tyendinaga flag from the bottom of this page on FOTW, with maybe a more indigo or purplish tone; it looks very blue in this image, although it's described as purple. The wampum ring is supposed to represent (*there*) the Six Nations expanded as a province westwards, and expanded as a union to embrace all of the League. For Rhode Island i suggested something involving a whale and/or an anchor, i like this proposal with the red cross. Could you explain the symbolism of the New Castreleon flag, aside from the obvious Kemrese dragon? I'm a big fan of the *here* New York flag, seeing's as how it depicts Henry Hudson sailing up his river with a smiling sun :-) Steg
- I did not realize that was the reason for the black star and agree with you it should go. For what it is worth, I also agree about your suggestion for the Six Nations Flag. Methinks I'll make some adjustments and upload them. The New Castraleon Flag is literally something I just whipped up and should probably re-do. Zahir 16:39, 2 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- Okay, done. I removed the black star. I uploaded your suggestion for the Six Nations Flag (making the color more purple). The "new" New Castraleon flag proposal is more a blend of Batavia's flag with Kemr, which makes more sense. Unfortunately, the symbol you described didn't really fit, IMO. But of course you are perfectly entitled to offer a proposal of your own! Zahir 16:56, 2 Oct 2005 (PDT)
- While I was at it, I did a bunch of possibilities for the different flags of New Sweden...
New sweden flag 2.jpg
New sweden flag 3.jpg
New sweden flag 4.jpg
New sweden flag 5.jpg
New sweden flag 6.jpg
New sweden flag 7.jpg
- I like the first one you did. It's simple and straight forward, although I would orient the crab per pale making it more heraldically correct in relation to the crown. The gallery below shows the arms with the correct orientation in the banner-of-arms, the civil ensign, and the state ensign. Unfortunately, I was not able to make the gray area in the state ensign transparent. Could you or anyone else with better graphics capabilities make it transparent? Thanks!
Boreanesia 01:26, 3 Oct 2005 (PDT)
Okay, this is weird. Several of the flags appear to be missing. I'm looking at this from my brother's computer, but all the same--shouldn't they be present? Zahir 12:39, 21 December 2005 (PST)
- I see them all... BoArthur 12:41, 21 December 2005 (PST)
- Nothing happened. Some kind of oddness involving his browser or system or server or the squirrels that are messing with his computer when no one's looking. *shrugs* If I can't see'em back at home, we'll talk more. Zahir 13:28, 21 December 2005 (PST)
Okay, I've moved some flags from "Proposal" to "Official" because there's been no objections and they've been there long enough. Tenisi, Pennsylvaania and Rhode Island require some input please. Unless I've missed something? Ouisconsin is brand new. And I'm not satisfied with New Hampshire, even though I'm the one who designed it. Zahir 18:18, 4 October 2006 (PDT)
- Juuuuuuust noticed this... any reason why the Proposal 1 for Tenisi is so very Letzebuergesch? Dalmatinac 02:39, 5 September 2009 (UTC)
- That was a request/suggestion. Zahir 15:32, 5 September 2009 (UTC)
Did the NAL provinces have flags from the very beginning? In the US, states didn't feel the need to have distinctive colors until the Civil War, and even then didn't adopt official flags until the 1890s. Most Canadian provinces waited even longer. The NAL provinces seem more likely, however, to get them earlier, especially the ones that had an independent or quasi-independent status before admission to the League.
Also, what is the status of these flags? I imagine they have some status beyond "office decorations", On my new page (Heraldry on Gardiners Island) I proposed the idea of provincial jacks for use at sea. In other words, the Old Blue Sheet is the ensign for all NALien ships, but they must also fly a jack to indicate province of origin. Some provinces probably have distinctive jacks, while others use their provincial flags. Benkarnell 13:44, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
- I for one think that's a good idea (i.e. provincial jacks), and makes for some more maritime visual interest. - Geoff 02:53, 27 August 2009 (UTC)
- I agree--this is a valuable idea with lots of potential! Zahir 10:54, 29 August 2009 (UTC)