|Flag of Pentapolis|
|Motto: Omnibus Iustitia (Justice for All)|
|Subdivision of:||Ter Mair, North American League|
|Others:||Scandinavian, Scots, Kerno, etc.|
|Lord Mayor:||Dame Marienne Berrie|
|Area:||50 square miles|
|Established:||1696, settlement of Georgetown|
The Metropole of Pentapolis in Ter Mair consists of five cities that have incorporated as single metropolitan entity, forming a pact of mutual aid and infrastructure integration. The Metropole consists of the cities of Rome, Georgetown, Anacostia, Carroll's City and Palisades. Part of that integration involves the Consolidated Electric Railway which constitutes the system of trams and trolleys that connect the five cities with each other and also with the suburban regions beyond.
History -- Established in 1696 at the westernmost point of navigability along the Potomack river in the Kemrese province of Ter Mair, the City of St. George instantly became a hub of trade in the region, serving the inland communities of both Ter Mair and Virginia as a convenient means of bringing goods and food stuffs to and from a good harbour. The city prospered and grew considerably over the next century, and by the 1770s, only Baltimore was a larger or prestigious city in the province. Founders from Virginia and Ter Mair often met at Arthur's Tavern in the High Street, and were members of other social organisations of the city, conducting business including that of discussing and drafting the Solemn League and Covenant.
Ffrensisc S. Keyes was a native of Georgetown who penned the NAL's national song, "Wafts Still the Old Blue Sheet" while imprisoned by pirates during the Seige of Kingestown Jamaica.
In 1838, a horse-drawn trolley line was installed along King Street and connected Georgetown with Carroll's City a little way down-river. In that same year, the Baltimore and Aquonishuonigy Railway constructed its Rome terminal, thus completing the first railway to connect two major cities in the NAL. The xix century saw greater growth for the area when the Chesapeake and Aquonishuonigy Canal was constructed and had its eastern terminus in Georgetown. In 1852, the horse drawn trolleys were replaced by steam powered cable trolleys. By the century's end, Georgetown had completed the B&A's grand Constantine Terminal, a vast complex on multiple levels that brought trains in from several railroads.
In 1895, the five cities of Rome, Georgetown, Anacostia, Carroll's City and Palisades incorporated as the Metropole of Pentapolis.
Rome was the personal fief of Laird Quhossname, a huge estate to the east and south of the ancient town of Georgetown. During the early xix century, various parcels were sold off (to the city of Georgetown itself, the B & A Railway and various land investors) which made the family incredibly wealthy. Thus enriched, a programme of swamp drainage and grading was undertaken which opened up the southern part of the estate to development. About a quarter of the city of Rome is still owned by the Quhossname family. The family's manor house, Ravenna House (locally known as il Palacio), stands upon Capitoline Hill and overlooks the broad hemicircular Tiber Harbour that was once a watercourse called the Tiber River. The central part of Rome is very nicely designed and executed in various marbles and native stones. Palaces, spacious parks, restaurants, theaters, posh offices and shopping districts form the principle attractions of the city. Rome is home to the Province's district courthouse, the Old Mint (still operational), and the great City Library (largely bequeathed by patriot Thomas Jefferson). Although the Kemrese Viceroy has his official residence in the Rheither's House in Annapolis, it has lòng been a Ter Mair tradition for the viceroy to reside for a time at Ravenna House in Rome. Much nicer than the Reither's House by a long shot! Fancy balls, gay dinner parties, evenings at the theatre and liesurely strolls among the gentry through the parks along the Tiber. How very romantic and stately!
Georgetown (or "Castre Geory Saeth"), a prominent and wealthy American locale, is an ancient port city on the Potomack River; it retains its quaint Maryland town qualities while being a thoroughly modern town. It is really a city of modest proportions, and its eastern quarter, the New Town, was designed by master mason and early patriot George Washington. Georgetown is the largest of the metropolitan constituents. Its picturesque streets are lined with pubs, theaters and a thriving antiques district. The proximity of the Catholic Univeristy of the Americas ensures the city's college town atmosphere as well. The Royal Chesepeake and Aquonishuonigy Canal and the Georgetown and Alexandria Canal both terminate here (neither are any longer commercial affairs, but they along with the other canals of the metropole form Canals National Park and there are seasonal tour cruises along the RC&A and G&A, and the tow paths are popular hiking and biking trails). Georgetown is the cathedral church city of the Abbot of the Middle Atlantic Province of he Kemrese Rite Church. Georgetown is home to the Arsenal (an old naval fortification).
The Baltimore and Aquanishuonigy Railway boasts an impressive terminal (Constantine Station) down on D Street (not far from the waterfront) and a smaller terminal on Water Street (down by the Georgetown waterfront, naturally); the Pennsylvaania Rwy and two southern rail lines, the Powtomack & Southern and the Virginia & Atlantic, share Pennsylvaania Station in northern Georgetown, a little to the east of Constantine Station. There are a good share of cultural artifacts like national museums and art galleries, notably, the Carnegie Institution. Georgetown University boasts the finest Foreign Service and diplomatic colleges in the country; and also houses one of the finest research hospitals and medical colleges in the country.
The metropole and surrounding counties sport a fine transportation network of trollies, light rail trams and busses. Longer distance commuter trains also come in from all directions. While it is not the center of Government, a number of important military installations and governmental bureaux are located near Georgetown. Notable are the Theodosian Continental Airforce Base, down along the Powtomack River and the North American Bureau of Standards out in the town of Forest Oak, in the lovely countryside of County Montgomery. In town is the Old Treasury, one of Maryland's colonial mints. [Baltimore, does however host one of the NAL's six presently operational mints.] Various special forces groups also have training facilities in the Ter Mair and Virginia counties around.
Anacostia lies to the south of the river that bears its name. This city is home to the Navy Hospital and the Navy Yards, a small base dating back to pre-SLC times for the defence of the port of Georgetown, as well as the Old Soldiers Rest Home.
Carroll's City is the Venice of Ter Mair on account of its Grand Canal and several smaller "street" canals -- part of the Canals National Park. It is the smallest of the metropolitan constituents, and lies to the south of Rome, at the mouth of the Anacostia River. It sports many fine restaurants, a boardwalk, yacht clubs, tour boat docks and canal cruises. Offices and up-scale residences round out the nature of the place.
Palisades is the westernmost constituent of the Metropole, and has much more of a "small town" atmosphere to it. Arising from Water Street in Georgetown is the King Street (named for Grand Admiral E. A. King), which passes through the Palisades's stately homes and quaint shopping districts.
By metropolitan statute, no commercial structure may exceed six storeys in height while no residential structure may exceed four storeys in height (though mixed use buildings may five storeys in height). Church steeples are exempt from this statute, and may exceed the church's roofbeam by as much as three storeys. Pentapolis is very much a Ter Mair city. One can get the freshest Bay fish and seafood from the Waterfront area's seafood markets in Rome and the Wharfside markets of Anacostia, brought in fresh every morning.
Surrounding towns include Montello, which has long been the home of the NAL Fair Association headquarters and hippodrome. Hollytown is the home of Pentapolis's great sports arena. Coachman's Delight is the home of the Pentapolis's great hippodrome. On Calan Mai, the rheitheir comes up to the hippodrome from Ravenna House, parades through the town and then takes a turn or two around the track upon a white charger, followed by local bands, flower girls and parade floats. All over the region, there are planned festivities, parades, musical competitions, plays and fairs. Pleasant Heights, Tanelley's Town and Takoma are outlying suburbs.