Principality of Watlings Pond
The Principality of Watlings Pond, along the border between the Unincorporated Territories and Alyaska, was settled in 1855 by Prince Ioan Gwatlin of Braf, Kemr, in order to mine for gold. While this endeavour did not pan out for many, some fortunes were made and the town prospered. By the later years of the century, Watlings Pond became a centre for forestry and mining continued to play a part in the local economy. The Great War brought the little Principality along the border with Alyaska to the notice of the Continental Army, who immediately ordered a road be constructed and a fort built. The roadway got graded and the fort got abandonned within a year due to the conclusion of hostilities; but the Army would never forget, and when GWII broke out, the fort was reoccupied and the road paved (now known as PR-91).
The 4250 people of the Principality are mostly mysclad, or mestizos of Native and Kemrese settlers. About 25% are full Native (Caska Dena) and about 5% are full Newcommer (mostly Kemrese descent, about 1% other including rather inexplicably one Togolese royal who said he just couldn't get enough snow-mobiling and decided to set up shop in the town's general store, seeing as old Tom Canyd was thinking of retiring down south, as he has family in Winnipeg). The town of Watlings Pond had a population of 1344 people (2006 census) and 1798 moose.
The present Lord Proprietor is Prince Maharaja John "Vinay" Watling (r. 1977-present). The Principality is a member of the Caska Dena Council and between them send three and a half MPs to Winnipeg: Lord Will Loots (Elder Brother); Pedr Canyd (Commons); Lady Elen Llîneir. The half MP is Lord Loot's siberian husky, Cawn (Lords, Life Peer since 2006).
The Principality's chief tourist attractions are Prince John's "Grand Lorry Park and Arcade-o-Drome", situated at the north terminus of PR-91 and announced by a thirty foot tall mural of Swami Prabhupada, illuminated at night by 8888 miniature holi lights. Also in town is the "Original Signpost Forest". Begun by Continentals stationed at Fort Braf in 1942 who were ordered to repair a street sign in town that they'd accidentally run over with a lorry, it now comprises some two acres of land and contains more than 66000 gaily hand painted signs, license plates from around the world, signed dinner plates and various road signs from many countries around the world, each pointing to a visitor's far away home town.
The Principality has the densest population of Hare Krishna's in North America (33%); and about 25% Kemrese Rite Catholic; while also claiming to be 100% Caska Native religion.