Aviation in the MR
- There is a heliport in Prosferion for a passenger helicopter (AO-001). There are scheduled flights to Athena and to Constantinople for those wishing to make connections to international flights.
- There is a need for hovering aircraft for the purposes of rescue at sea and in the mountains, so the Holy Synod has purchased helicopters for the aviation needs within the Monastic Republic.
- The following aircraft were purchased over several years.
- 1. One medevac helicopter (AO-002) for transporting seriously ill patients to medical centers in the Hellenic Empire. This helicopter is housed at the hospital in Prosforion.
- 2. Three small helicopters (AO-003, AO-004, AO-005), one for each deme, for sea and mountain rescue. These three helicopters are housed at the gendarmery posts in each of the towns.
- 3. Three small helicopters (AO-006, AO-007, AO-008) with which the gendarmery can patrol the towns and the territorial waters. These three helicopters are housed at the gendarmery posts in each of the towns.
- All Monastic Republic aircraft carry the prefix AO.
- The following paragraph is from the National Emblems Act of December 1940.
- “§8 The aviation roundel shall be the green equilateral triangle surmounted by the golden Greek cross on a white roundel surrounded by a circle compony of 20, gold and red.”